We all love our cute and funny pet seals, don’t we!! Seals are aquatic mammals that look like dogs with no ears. They are part of a group of animals called pinnipeds known to have evolved from a single ancestor millions of years ago. This article puts together a list containing 150+ cute and funny pet seal names that you can name your pet seal.
These mammals can either be categorized on their own, or in the order of the Carnivore. Unlike other sea animals, seals have not cut off their links with the land. Occasionally, they return to the ice or land, especially to give birth.
Although commonly found in the cold Arctic and Antarctica waters, seals are also easily found in tropical climates, near seas, and oceans.
What’s the difference between seals and sea lions?
Have you ever taken the time to learn about the main differences between seals and their “second cousins,” the sea lions?
Both Sea lions and seals, alongside the walrus, are pinnipeds, denoting “fin footed” in Latin.
Seals possess stubby front feet — thinly webbed flippers, with a claw on each small toe — small in size compared to the mostly skin-covered, elongated fore flippers that sea lions possess.
Secondly, For outer ears, sea lions have small flaps. The “earless” or “true” seals do not have external ears altogether. You can see the tiny holes on the sides of a seal’s sleek head if you move closer.
Third, sea lions make a lot of noise. Seals, on the other hand, are quieter, and only vocalize via soft grunts.
Fourth, while seals and sea lions spend considerable time both in and out of the water, seals are better adapted for the aquatic life than on land. Though they appear chubby, seals tend to be smaller and more aquadynamic than sea lions. Meanwhile, their hind flippers angle backwards without rotating. This is responsible for their speed in the water but basic belly crawlers on terra firma.
On the other hand, sea lions can “walk” on land by rotating their hind flippers forward and underneath their big bodies. This is why they are commonly found in aquaria and marine shows.
Finally, seals are less friendly than their sea-lion cousins. They prefer being in the water than sea lions do and live isolated lives in the wild, coming ashore together only once a year to meet and mate.
Sea lions come together in gregarious groups known as herds or rafts that number 1,500 individuals and upwards. It’s a common sight for scores of sea lions to haul out together and loll about in the sand, comprising an amorphous pile in the noonday sun.
Amazing seal facts for seal lovers
Did you know, over 30 species of seals are in existence? Well, now, you know.
Some of these species include the Harp seal, Northern elephant seal, Crabeater seal, Weddell seal, and many more.
Below are other interesting facts about these aquatic mammals:
- Female seals outlive male seals. While the female can live up to 35 years, male seals live for about 25 years.
- Even though seals spend a lot of time underwater, they return to the shore to mate, breed, and feed their offsprings.
- To stay warm, seals have a fur covering and blubber (a thick mass of fat beneath the skin). The blubber plays the most part in keeping them warm.
- Seals are considered valuable because of their oil and fur. Their fur is used in luxury designer coats. The oil gotten from these seals is used in soap manufacturing, in nutrition (it contains rich Omega-3 fatty acids), and as a source of fuel. Seals are thus considered an endangered species due to extreme poaching activities.
- Seals sometimes sleep underwater. To prevent drowning while sleeping, they close their nostrils.
- The barrel-like body of the seal makes it a great swimmer and diver. Its flippers come in handy to aid the seal wade through water currents.
- Their whiskers are sensitive antennas that can detect vibrations underwater. This keeps them alert for prey and predators alike.
Do not be deceived by their fin-like limbs into assuming that seals belong to the fish family.
Seals are mammals that are also called pinnipeds (mammals with fins).
20 Famous Seal Names
- Sea Lion
- The Monk
- Hooded seal name
- Bearded seal
- Mr. Morton Slumber
- Lupe Lamora
- Ringed seal
18 Famous Seal Names from Cartoons and Movies
1. Fluke: Three pinnipeds were introduced in Finding Dory and one of them was named Fluke.
2. Rudder: Rudder was Fluke’s sunbathing buddy in Finding Dory. Rudder and Fluke just wanted to lounge all day in the sun.
3. Gerald: This was the name of the third pinniped in Finding Dory.
4. Romeo and Juliet: In the animation movie, Sealed With a Kiss, two seals named Romeo and Juliet fall in love.
5. Kotick: Kotick is a white seal in the animated movie, The White Seal. Kotick is showcased as a hero who looks after other seals.
6. Skaeg: A character from the Danish comical series called Rasmus Klump.
7. Chip: From the animated series, Hello Kitty’s Furry Tale Theater. Chip was a white seal, usually seen in a tank top with red and yellow stripes.
8. Stefano: Stefano is a comical character in Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted. When you think of seals, I believe the last thing you think of is a “funny character”.
9. Hunter: In Penguins of Madagascar, a young seal named Hunter, saves the life of one of the main characters and they become close friends.
10. Andre: The movie titled Andre, depicts a weird friendship between a girl and an ailing seal.
11. Slappy: In the movie, Slappy and the Stinkers, Slappy is a pinniped in a circus that suffers mistreatment. A group of children tries to set him free.
12. Sophie: Dolittle befriends Sophie in Dr. Dolittle and Doctor Dolittle’s Circus. Dr. Dolittle tries to set her free and back into her natural habitat.
13. Pup: Pup is a baby seal in the movie, In Search of Santa, who was separated from its mother and was later rescued by a Princess.
14. Flynn: From the animated series Ice Age, Flynn is an elephant seal who plays the role of a pirate. He was seen as the crew’s leader.
15. Sandy: In Sandy the Seal, a lonely seal is rescued by a lighthouse keeper who takes her home and protects her.
16. Wolfgang the Seal: Wolfgang is a stuffed seal muppet who featured in Sesame Street. He plays the role of an excited friend to another character, Zoe.
15. Sneezly: In the animated series Breezly and Sneezly, the two main characters are Breezly and his friend Sneezly, a seal that often sneezes.
16. Robby: In Pingu, the penguin ends up having Robby, a seal as his best friend.
17. Romeo and Juliet: In the animation movie, Sealed With a Kiss, two seals named Romeo and Juliet fall in love.
18. Kotick: Kotick is a white seal in the animated movie, The White Seal. Kotick is showcased as a hero who looks after other seals.
13 Cute Male Seal Names
- Mr. Sprinkle
19 Interesting Female Seal Names
- Willow Olive
62 Interesting Seal Names
Below is a list of some of the most interesting seal names
- Horse head
- Mr. Jaws
- Miss. Vee
- Robin Hood
- Miss. Paley
- Miss. Gray
7 Cute Baby Seal Names
- Lily / Lilly.
4 Famous Stuffed Seal Names
2. Travel tails
4. Hug Ems’
Final Thoughts: Cute and Funny Seal Names
Seals are amazing creatures and can make peaceful pets. We hope our list of seal names was sufficient for you to find a name for your pet seal.
If you found this article helpful, please leave us a comment.
You can tell us which names you found interesting in the comments section below. Also, if you have fun names for pet seal, we would love to hear them!